Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Day 13: part 2 - Kamakura

I wasn't sure what to do with the rest of my day before the concert later that night. I had supposed that I could go to Kamakura either today or tomorrow before the class. It might actually make more sense to go tomorrow sense it was closer to Yokohama, where my dance class would be later that night. Since I couldn't really think of anything to do with my time, I decided that I would go today. Since I was already in Shinjuku, and a direct train to Kamakura left from Shinjuku, it was convenient enough to head out now.

If I were honest with myself, I only went to Kamakura because I felt obligated to go. To be sure, nobody was forcing me or expecting me to go, but I just felt that since I was here in Japan, I should take advantage and see all the typical sites that guide books say I should see. I wasn't very excited to see more Buddhist temples of Shinto shrines, but there was one thing that was unique about Kamakura.

For one thing, it was the administrative center (call it the capital of the country, if you want) during the first shogunate. Military warlords took control of the government in Japan in the late 12th century, and made Kamakura their capital, while the emperor stayed in Kyoto, basically relegated as a spiritual leader of Japan. However, over the past 800 years, little remains of the Kamakura shogunate.

One standout site that does remain, however, is the Great Buddha bronze sculpture. I figured that I should see this. I didn't want to be such a spoil sport, though, and so I went in the opposite direction to see a couple of the other sites on the map, as well. The first site was a Shinto shrine. They are all starting to look the same to me, and this one was not too exciting, except that it had a lily pond of to the side. That was interesting enough to see. Then I went to explore more of the shrine, but I saw that there was an entrance fee. Last week I would have been willing to pay the fee that was the equivalent of a couple of dollars. But not so today.

Looking at the map, it seemed that there was a fancy Buddhist temple further up the way, so I made my way up there. The signs that I saw on the street said that it was only a kilometer or so, and that didn't seem like it would be too far. One thing that maps typically don't show, however, is that the kilometer walk was all up hill. The heat was starting to get to me, and my clothes were already soaked with sweat, but before I had a chance to quit and turn around, I was there, and not a moment too soon. I walked up to the temple, and snapped some photos of what I could see from the outside, but again, I wasn't willing to pay the entrance fee, so I quickly turned around and walked back.

Basically, to make it to the Great Buddha sculpture, I would have to retrace my steps all the way back to the train station, then go another mile or so to the temple with the big Buddha. One thing that I've noticed about this trip is that nearly all of the big tourist attraction sites are accompanied by long streets filled with vendors trying to sell souvenirs, or food, or whatever they can to make a buck on the tourist market. To be sure, I don't think that this is a uniquely Japanese feature; places all over the world have been taken over with folks who are trying to make a buck. Even more, I don't think that this is a new feature of human civilzation. I am sure that people were trying to get whatever they can from whomever they can since the beginning of time, and since travel is not a new thing, I am sure that souvenir salesmen are not new either.

By the time I made it to the Great Buddha sculpture, I was exauhsted, but this was one site that I was willing to pay for because it was something different. Again, it was only the equivalent of about three dollars, so it didn't break the bank. I was very tired and worn out when I got there, but I found a shade under a tree, and was able to appreciate the sculpture quietly. I don't know why some things bring a peacful calm over me, but this did, and I felt a bit better. Maybe all this walking was worth it. Even still, though, I did have an appointment in Shibuya tonight to see a dance performance, so after a little bit of rest and relaxation in the Buddha's shadow, I made my way back to the train station to head back to the hotel, take a shower, and go back out.

No comments:

Post a Comment