Saturday, August 24, 2013

Day 2: part 3 - Train to Osaka

I wanted to pack my stuff quickly. But by now I realized that despite my best efforts, I probably didn't pack very well. I don't know if I packed too much, or too little, but in any case, everything only just barely fits in the backpack I have with me. The thing that sticks out as causing the most havok is my computer. Before the trip I had considered leaving it home, thinking that the lost weight would be appreciated, but then I would not be able to write, or store my photos as I take them (I frequently fill up the 6 gigs of memory cards with photos when I travel). All this second guessing is beside the point now, anyways. The problem at hand was that I had to transport everything I had with me. I brought a small little bag in which I could carry my computer, but it was becoming useless, and I could see by the light that is beginning to show through the bottom of the bag that it is close to ripping (it would still serve well as a laundry bag, though).

I do have with me a small cover for my computer, and it seems to protect it from the elements well enough. So what I ended up doing is carrying the computer in my arms while wearing the backpack. I am not sure that I would feel comfortable doing this in New York, since I don't trust New Yorkers to not steal my computer if they have the chance; me holding it in my hands would seem like the perfect chance that a thief might take advantage of. That said, in Japan, perhaps I should be more fearful and cautious, but I'm not. Through my wanderings earlier in the morning, at several different places, I came across bikes that were not chained to anything, just parked on the sidewalk. Being a New Yorker myself, I looked around and thought of stealing these bikes for myself. How convenient it would be to ride a bike around the city! (And since it wasn't mine anyways, I could just leave it where I wanted, without a care of it being stolen from me.) In any case, I didn't steal any of these bikes. Maybe next time.

One thing that I have already remarked upon that I really enjoy is the fact that I have the JR Rail Pass. When I went to the train station, I secured a ticket to Osaka that probably would have cost me the equivalent of $200. I was soon discovering that planning really is beneficial during trips. The ticket was easy to get, the train left within fifteen minutes, and for the next three hours I rode my way to Osaka without any hassle.

No comments:

Post a Comment